Olyka is now a small town in Volyn Oblast whose heyday is long gone. Nowadays, Olyka isn’t even a district center as it was back in the days when the town was owned by powerful Radziwill family. Back then, it was not inferior to Lutsk neither in population nor in economic and administrative terms.
Olyka was first mentioned in the Hypatian Chronicle. In the times of the Galicia-Volhynia Principality, nearby Olyka was the embattled city of Chemeryn. Chemeryn later declined but Olyka began flourishing. In the 16th century, the then rulers of the town of Radziwill (by the way, Olyka was owned by the Radziwill family for four centuries) built a castle here, the existence of which today is reminiscent of the remains of bastions.
In the 18th century the castle was rebuilt into a palace that is quite well preserved unlike many other city buildings including the town hall that has not survived to this day. Now on the territory of the castle-palace there is a regional psychiatric hospital. In spite of this fact, everyone is allowed on the territory and tourists can also be told what to look for and how best to get there.
Next to St.Trinity Church there is another small St. Peter and Paul Church which is interesting because it was
built in 1460 and is the oldest church in Volyn Oblast.
Source: Україна Інкогніта