Pharmacy museum

On the former market square of the city is located the oldest pharmacy in Lutsk, which operated since the middle of the XIX century. Its first owner, Petro Zlotsky, rebuilt building of the 18th century for this purpose. When the Kosach family with Lesya Ukrainka lived in the city, some medicines for her were made at this pharmacy. In the first half of the 20th century, pharmacy produced 50-55  ointments, 25-30 tinctures, 15-20 syrups. For the manufacture of medicines used about 220 names of plants. In 1966, some things from the pharmacy were transported to the Lviv pharmacy museum. Lutsk pharmacy became a museum later. Today, this pharmacy specializes in the manufacture of dermatological medicaments.

The museum part of the pharmacy is located in two ground rooms – a trading room and the director’s office. They have preserved the ancient interior of the pharmacy. Under the ceiling on the cupboards are the busts of Socrates and Hippocrates. Behind the glass in the cabinets are displayed various pharmacy tools. The National Cash Register Co., Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A. of 1902 is located in the trading room. In the second room – the pharmacy owner’s office. On the table is an old abacus and typewriter. On the shelves are a library of rare  books. It also houses a herbarium of medicinal plants, dating from 1942. Basements are not included in the exposition.

In the office of the director the exposition includes pharmacy utensils of the 15th-17th centuries, ancient recipes, documents. There is also a “Pharmacist Training Manual” 1875, a “Herbalist of medicinal plants”  1883,  “Pharmacopoeia of Poland”  1938, old textbooks on pharmaceutical chemistry, technology for medicine production. The office exhibits an old pharmacy equipment: a machine for the manufacture of suppositories and closure of vials, measuring cylinders and scales, various utensils, mortars for the manufacture of ointments and powders and the like, an old typewriter, telephone and more. 

Latest news

Lutsk Castle

Lutsk Castle

We invite you to visit the main tourist site of Lutsk – a medieval castle of the XIV century. It won first place in the category “castles” of the All-Ukrainian competition “Seven Wonders of Ukraine: castles, palaces, fortresses”.

THE KORSAKS’ MUSEUM OF THE CONTEMPORARY UKRAINIAN ART

THE KORSAKS’ MUSEUM OF THE CONTEMPORARY UKRAINIAN ART

Mision of the museum is to create museum institution of the highest level that changes past, reflects present and creates future to develop the nation spirituality and promote Ukrainian art in the world. Here you can see the largest painting in the world – “Cosmogony”, covering an area of over 2000 square meters.

The Chortoryiski princes Tower

The Chortoryiski princes Tower

The Chortoryiski princes Tower is the only one of the 8 towers of the Lutsk Lower (Okolnyi) Castle that has survived to this day. The Museum space «Okolnyi Castle» is a modern historical part of the defensive structure of Lutsk from the 14th – 17th centuries. The Upper Lutsk Castle was rebuilt from wooden fortifications to stone ones between the late 14th and 15th centuries. The first line of defensive of the Upper Castle, the Okolnyi Castle, began its transformation in the early 16th century, when wooden towers were gradually replaced with stone structures.

The dungeons of St. Peter and Paul Cathedral

The dungeons of St. Peter and Paul Cathedral

In addition to the above-ground city, Lutsk has an extensive network of underground tunnels. The two levels of the underground city housed sacred objects, a refectory, a prison, and tombs. There are many legends about the unique two-level underground complex, the entrance to which is located beneath the Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul. Their height is particularly impressive, reaching almost 8 meters in some places.

Lutheran Church

Lutheran Church

Lutheran church (now Baptist) in Lutsk an architectural monument, located on Karaimska Street, 1 in the State Historical and Cultural Reserve “Old Lutsk”.

The Museum Space «Okolnyi Castle»

The Museum Space «Okolnyi Castle»

The Museum Space «Okolnyi Castle» is a new tourist attraction created on the basis of restored architectural monuments of national importance: the Chortoryiski princes tower with part of the defensive wall and the Jesuit Monastery with its dungeons.